Tel:029 2075 9769
The work grew in the city
In 1832, two decades before William Bennett moved to Cardiff, the city had a
population of six thousand, but it was rising rapidly and by 1907 the population
had risen to one hundred thousand. As the assembly grew in number and the city
population increased, many of the saints moved to the newly developed parts of
the city and helped to establish new assemblies.
By 1901 there was a total of seven assemblies in Cardiff with a total membership
of nine hundred and thirty believers, and by 1924 there were twenty-four assemblies
in Cardiff and district, and eighty-five in the whole of South Wales. In
that same year a list was compiled of two thousand names of believers in
the Cardiff and district area who had had associations with the Adamsdown Hall.
By 1885 the assembly at Adamsdown was well established and as the work expanded,
a few young men from Adamsdown including Mr George Willie, Mr Thomas Brookes and
Mr Charles Pullin, started a work in a shop in the Cathays area. As interest
and numbers increased they had to find larger premises, so in 1897 the Mackintosh
Hall was built and opened. The work was fruitful and eventually other assemblies
were commenced at Heath, Tavistock Street, Minster Road and Rhiwbina. This
growth was mainly due to the reaching out with the Gospel using open-air meetings,
tract bands and tent missions.
Also in 1885, two brothers from Adamsdown, Edwin H Bennett and John W Bennett
(a very quiet and reserved man but capable in handling the scriptures) and William
H Bennett, who had moved from Yeovil to Cardiff to take up a post as chief
accountant for the Taff Vale Railway Company, were instrumental in the development
of the work at Llandaff North. A small meeting was commenced in Lock Cottage,
Coplestone Road, and in 1893, Edwin purchased a plot of land from Solomon
Andrews, a well-known businessman, and upon that plot the existing hall was built.
During the summer months of 1920, some young men from Adamsdown held
open-air meetings on the Village Green at Rumney. The work was fruitful and
they continued for a number of years. Eventually, a Methodist Chapel was bought,
converted by Mr. Henry Tucker Snr. for use as a Gospel Hall, and opened in 1926.
In 1935, as a result of an exercise of heart by believers at Adamsdown and
Minster Road Gospel Hall, a Gospel outreach was commenced on the Pengam
housing estate. Among those from Adamsdown were Mr. & Mrs. Robert Coles; Mr. & Mrs.
Horace Corrick and Mr. & Mrs. Fred Cokeley and others. They were given
permission by the local authority to erect a temporary building for two years
by which time a more permanent building was to be provided. In July 1956, Mr.
Coles reported to the church meeting, "we have received an estimate of
£2200 to build a new hall on a new site. This estimate did not include block
floors or electricity."
The new hall never materialized, but they stayed on the estate for over
twenty-two years as a Gospel witness. Finally in February 1958 they had to
vacate the building owing to redevelopment of the entire site, and the doors
were closed for the last time. Hundreds of children and their parents had
heard the Gospel, souls were saved and the Lord blessed the work.